The Bureau is responsible for the operation of the COMESA Yellow Card scheme. The Bureau has its own Constitution (under the umbrella of ICZ) and is managed by a committee elected by the participating members guided by the COMESA Instruments and the Yellow Card manual. The COMESA Yellow Card scheme provides Third Party Cover to motorists travelling to COMESA member countries outside Zimbabwe. The cover provided is in accordance with the legal requirements of the country being visited. ICZ members who underwrite motor business are members of the Bureau on an equal share basis in each underwriting year. They also collect premiums on behalf of the Bureau for a commission.
Yellow Card is a third-party motor vehicle insurance for cross border travelling motorists travelling in the COMESA region.
WHAT IS A YELLOW CARD SCHEME?
- It is a regional third-party motor vehicle insurance scheme recognised by COMESA member countries as evidence of guarantee to provide the minimum insurance cover required by the laws of the country visited by the travelling motorist.
- It was established by a protocol signed by Heads of State and Government in 1986, and became operational on 1st July, 1987.
THE YELLOW CARD
- It is a motor insurance certificate equivalent of a policy of insurance.
The objectives of the scheme are:
- To provide at least minimum guarantee, for road accident victims, compensation for injury or damage which may be sustained as a result of inter-state road traffic accidents
- To facilitate easy movement of vehicles, persons and goods, and encourage the development of trade and tourism in the region;
- To provide the insurance industry with a simple and economical mechanism to operate.
The scheme provides third party motor vehicle liability insurance in accordance with the laws and regulations in force in the country visited by the motorist.
The scheme provides the following compensation:
Property Damage: USD3 000.00
Death: USD3 000.00
Permanent Disability: % of death benefit
Medical/Funeral Expenses: USD1 000.00
The scheme is currently operational in the following countries: Burundi, Democratic Republic of Congo, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Other member countries are making preparations and are expected to join soon.
WHERE TO OBTAIN THE CARD
The Yellow Card for inter-state travelling motorists is obtainable from the branch network of all registered local short-term insurance companies operating in Zimbabwe.
- CBZ Insurance
- Champions Insurance
- Cell Insurance
- Hamilton Insurance
- Clarion Insurance Company
- Credsure Insurance
- Evolution Insurance
- Export Credit Guarantee Corporation
- FBC Insurance
- Alliance Insurance
- Old Mutual
- Allied Insurance
- Safel Insurance
- Quality Insurance
- Sanctuary Insurance
- Zimnat Insurance
CONVINIENCE OF BUYING THE YELLOW CARD IN ADVANCE
- No delays at the border
- No delays after the happening of an accident in a foreign country
- Claims are paid by the National Bureau of the country in which the accident occurs, in their local currency.
- All the insured has to do after an accident is to report the accident to the local police and National Bureau listed below.
ADDRESSES OF THE NATIONAL BUREAUX
Societe d’Assurance du Burundi (SOCABU)
B P. 2440, Bujumbura, Burundi
Tel.: 26520 Tix: BDI (257) 5113
Fax: (257) 226803
D R. CONGO:
Societe Nationale D Assurance (SONAS)
P.O. Box 3443, 6466 Boulevard Du 30 Juin, Immeuble Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo,
Phone: +243 812 136 031
National Insurance Corporation of Eritrea
P.O. Box 881, Bdho Ave.
171 Asmara, Eritrea,
Tel.: (291-1) 123000
Ethiopian Insurance Corporation
P.O. Box 2545, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Tel.: (251-1) 515055, Tix: 21229
Fax: (251-1) 517499
Kenya Re-insurance Corporation
P.O. Box 30271, Nairobi, Kenya
Tel.: (254-2) 240188, Tix: 2204
Fax: (252-2) 339161
Insurance Association of Malawi
P.O. Box 1021, Galaxy House, Blantyre, Malawi
Tel.: (265) 622966, Fax: (265) 621215
Societe Nationale d Assurance du Rwanda
(SONARWA), P.O. Box 1035,
Tel.: (250) 72101, Tix: 22540, Fax: (250) 72052
Swaziland Royal Insurance Corporation Ltd, P.O. Box 917,
Tel.: (09268) 46415/43231, Tix: 2043 WD, Fax: (268) 46415
National Insurance Corporation of Tanzania, Ltd
P.O. Box 9264, Dar-Es-Salaam, Tanzania,
Tel.: 9255-51 26561/8, Tix: 41146, Fax: 46897
National Insurance Corporation of Uganda
P.O. Box 7134, Kampala, Uganda,
Tel.: (256-41) 258001/10, Tix: 61227, Fax: (256-41) 259925
Zambia State Insurance Corporation Ltd,
ZSIC General Insurance Limited Premium House,
P.O. Box 30894, Lusaka, Zambia
Tel +260 211 229345 / 57
Insurance Council of Zimbabwe (National Bureau of Zimbabwe)
4 Josiah Tongogara Avenue
Tel.: 263 86 77007101
263 242 708031-2